Happy Thanksgiving from South Lake Tahoe Spa!

Thanksgiving Day turkey

We just wanted to take a quick post to say Happy Thanksgiving from the South Lake Tahoe Spa team! We will miss you tomorrow and Friday as our offices will be closed, but we hope you enjoy stuffing your bellies with lots of turkey, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie! Stay tuned for an email on Black Friday that will reveal an extra-special discount just for our current and past clients that you’ll be able to redeem in the new year.

Also, we thought you’d enjoy these fun facts about Thanksgiving. (Never hurts to have a lil’ history lesson around this time, right?)

#1. You can thank the holiday for TV dinners! (See what we did there? We always love a good pun.) TV dinners were born in 1953, when turkey-maker Swanson miscalculated the number of frozen turkeys it would sell that year. They had to do something with the leftovers, so they cut up the meat and packaged it with a few turkey-day sides. Voila. Happy watching … and eating. 🙂

#2. It’s not just an American holiday. Apparently Canadians celebrate it too, only not on the same day. They do it about 6 weeks earlier, on the second Monday of October. Tomorrow you can tell all your Canadian friends “happy belated Thanksgiving,” and they’ll be uber impressed that you knew about the timing of their holiday.

#3. Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers. Bet you didn’t guess that amid all the Walmart and Best Buy people-trampling, did ya? It makes sense though. Somebody’s got to clean up after all your over-gorged guests. (Looking at you, Uncle Eddy… heheheh)

#4. Turkeys are actually named for Turkish merchants. It’s a long story, so we won’t go into it here, but if you’re interested, you can check out this page to learn more.

#5. Turkeys have heart attacks. Poor birds. The Air Force accidentally discovered this when conducting test runs that broke sound barriers and entire fields of Turkeys suddenly died.

#6. Thanksgiving became a national holiday in 1941 … nearly 200 years after the First Thanksgiving celebration in the fall of 1621. (There were no forks back then—only knives and spoons.) Wow, that’s late … Some of you reading this may have actually just been born around that time. Makes you feel even older, doesn’t it? 😉

#7. 91% of Americans eat Turkey at their Thanksgiving Day dinners. Not sure what the other 9% are eating. Not sure we want to know, however …

#8. It’s probably green bean casserole. About 40 million of those are served alongside turkey on Thanksgiving Day. And 20% of cranberries also get eaten. That’s probably the only day each year that cranberries ever get eaten…

#9. The heaviest dressed turkey ever recorded was 86 lbs. Don’t believe us? Check out the Guinness Book of World Records. The competition was held in London in 1989.

#10. The first Thanksgiving was supposed to be a fast. The original settlers had planned to celebrate their first harvest by abstaining from food and giving thanks. Good thing the Wampanoag Indians showed up and turned it into a 3-day feast!